Friday, September 12, 2008

According to the media, I have a eating disorder called Orthorexia

Wow, I don't even know where to start! My friend received this email from Global to be interviewed re: Orthorexia. She declined and wrote back as to why. This email and the focus behind it infuriates me! Please read their email first then my response to this foolishness, below.

Hi,

My name is reporter X and I work at Global News here in Toronto. The Family Health reporter (reporter Y) and myself are working on a story about "orthorexia" and more simply, people that are health-food obsessed, like to eat raw foods and everything organic and pure. It seems to be a growing trend in North America.

We are looking for an individual to interview for our story (typically a health-conscious person living in and around the Toronto area). The reason I'm sending you a message is because you are a part of the "Raw Foodists In The GTA" group...and was hoping you would be interested in doing a short interview with us? The story is set to air on Friday Sept. 12, 2008 during the 6 p.m. news.

If you are interested or know anyone who would be able to do an on-camera interview about eating healthy, please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

-Reporter X


It's too bad they think what we have is a disease or disorder. And a trend? How can healthy eating be a trend, it's a life style!!! And I love their quote "and more simply, people that are health-food obsessed, like to eat raw foods and everything organic and pure" nice way to candy coat it to suck people in! I choose not to eat meat for ethical and health reasons, I choose to fast so I can cleanse my body of toxins that are now found in every ounce of food we eat, organic or not, I choose to eat organic to lessen those toxins and I choose to eat mostly raw vegan food because it provides my body with all the nutrients it needs to survive. We live in a society that is obsessed with supplements and adding pro-biotic this and biotic that to prepackaged processed foods to make them healthier. I eat and take the time to prepare my own meals, with fresh ingredients, so I can fight disease, stay healthy and live longer. But.. someone decided that it is an obsession and therefore a disease. If you take one look at me you see a very healthy girl. None of my friends are starving or unhealthy either and we all subscribe to the same eithics!

Eating healthy is not a trend, disorder or a disease! It is a lifestyle. It is sad that up until around the 1950's, we ate the way I eat now, processed food became popular and convenience became more important than substance. I will continue to eat organic raw vegan food, watch how much sugar or wheat enters my body and research ways to be healthier. Do I have a disease, no I have a conscience.

Websites explaining what Orthorexia is:

http://www.orthorexia.com/
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

No comments:

Zombie Dating

I found a date through zombie harmony - one of the best free dating sites for zombies
Created by Mingle2.com (Dating for non-zombies)

Are you compatible with me???