Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I just looked at Rorschach and saw one of the few good things of a 3 hour movie...

Hmmm. Does hype around a movie make you want to see it or wait for the DVD? As a general rule of thumb if a movie is being hyped as one of the best movies in decades, it usually sucks. Best parts in the trailers yada yada. I had my fingers crossed that Watchmen was going to be beyond that. It has been getting some pretty ok reviews and many friends and raving about it. Tonight, well, the rule of thumb seems to have applied.

Years ago I read the graphic novel and thought to myself, 'This might make a pretty awesome movie.' I may have said that out loud and, I apologize. Don't get me wrong, am sure some comic book frea... fanatics will be all over me here. It wasn't entirely bad. The special affects were well done and graphically it was pleasing to the eye. And Rorschach, Rorschach was brilliantly played by Jackie Earle Haley. Of course once I got past my Bad News Bears moment, I saw the brilliance in his performance. However, this movie was way too long in the tooth, by about an hour. So much didn't need to be there. I found myself at the 2 hour point thinking, is this over yet? And not because I needed to take a washroom break, I was at that point honestly hoping for the Russians to send off their nuclear bombs. Oops! I'm speaking out loud again.

If you are a fan of the graphic novel, I am sure it is worth your hard earned cashola to go see it. I do admit, it is one of those, have to see it on the big screen type movies, but if you can hold out, in about 3 months it will be on DVD and in about 4 months, you will be able to go to a BMV and buy a used copy. I strongly suggest if you are wanting to see a spring movie, save your pennies for Terminator Salvation and please excuse my placing hype on it.

No comments:

Zombie Dating

I found a date through zombie harmony - one of the best free dating sites for zombies
Created by Mingle2.com (Dating for non-zombies)

Are you compatible with me???