Sunday, February 17, 2008

A love story... that always breaks my heart

I'm working away on the vegan recipe book, I am doing with Viki.  In the background I have King Kong playing on the TV.  I adore this movie.  The original and the version from 1979 with Jessica Lange and Jeff Bridges.  As I've written in a previous post I hate romantic movies, however this one is an exception.  It gets me every time.

King Kong is the ultimate love story.  Boy meets girl, boy takes girl home, jealous other man, steals girlfriend away, boy rescues girl, dies a horrific death, girl realizes how much she really loved boy.  The only difference here is the boy is a 50 ft tall gorilla.

I think a lot of people in this movie forget that Kong is the tragic figure here, not the humans.  He falls in love with the femme fatale and the femme fatale, falls for him.  In the beginning she is terrified of him, but who wouldn't be... he is 50 ft tall for Pete sake.  Eventually, she realizes that she has no intentions of harming her, only wants to love an protect her.  Then of course along come the greedy men who see dollar bills at the potential of show casing this 'beast'.  Of course they inadvertently rescue 'the girl' in the process.

In the end, when Kong dies, people are usually cheering that he has been killed.  They are glad that once again human kind has been saved from the 'beast'.  I on the other hand get teary eyed as Kong isn't the 'beast'  The humans are.  I know how this movie is going to end, but in my heart each time I watch it, I hold my breath hoping that somehow it will end differently.  Kong will get the girl and they will go back to his island and live happily ever after.  It hasn't happened yet... but then again... I may just rewrite the ending to fit my wants.  Kong to me will always be the ultimate romantic hero.

No comments:

Zombie Dating

I found a date through zombie harmony - one of the best free dating sites for zombies
Created by Mingle2.com (Dating for non-zombies)

Are you compatible with me???