Saturday, February 14, 2009

something to really celebrate!!!

Some buildings don't have a 13th floor, my calendars don't have a Feb 14th on them. All today is, is a greeting card holiday, consumerism at it's best! The sad thing is a very, very small percentile of people actually know what the true story of St. Valentine really is. What I really don't get about today is why do you need one day out of the entire year, set aside to celebrate your love for someone? Shouldn't you be doing that every single day. And why is today just reserved for couples? Single people need to be appreciated as well, yet....

When you are single on February 14th, you suddenly become invisible to all of your coupled up friends. The only people who remember you are your girlfriends, the same girlfriends who are just as equally invisible today. No, I'm not some bitter single woman, jealous of couples, I LOVE being single. The thing is, I've never celebrated today due to it's sole purpose of ridiculousness. If today is all about love shouldn't it be celebrated every day and not just because you are a couple.

Today, I woke up to two adorable dogs kissing me and snuggling up to me. I then had the only people who matter in my life tell me that I was special to them, I will spend my day writing, going for a long walk, taking myself out for dinner, coming home, watching My Bloody Valentine, drink wine and crawl back into bed with my dogs. But I have been thinking long and hard about today, why isn't there a day to celebrate those of us who have fully embraced being single. So I am proposing something and not just an Anti-Valentines Day, day. We should start a day that lets single people embrace being single, the ability to show the world that they can proudly say, 'Today I am celebrating I'm not in a shitty relationship day.' or 'I don't have to put on a fake smile to make everyone think I'm happy day, day.' or 'Yes I'm single and proud of it day.' Ok, I need a little help with an actual title for the day, but... you all get it.

We have 'Days' for everything else, so why not a day for proud, independent, single people? We are the ones who deserve it!!!

No comments:

Zombie Dating

I found a date through zombie harmony - one of the best free dating sites for zombies
Created by Mingle2.com (Dating for non-zombies)

Are you compatible with me???