Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Journey Begins


I am about to start two very different journeys, one involves a possible move and the other a four legged 10 year old fur ball. Both are going to be tough and likely expensive, but one won't stop the other from happening or vice versa.

Today my dogs vet confirmed that my little blondie boy indeed has Cushings. For those who are unfamiliar with the illness it affects humans, dogs and horses. Believe it or not, dogs and horses have many of the same illnesses as humans.

Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocorticism) is a condition that results from the chronic overproduction of too much glucocorticoid in the body. In the normal dog, the pituitary gland produces a hormone called ACTH, which stimulates the adrenal gland to produce the steroid hormone glucocorticoid necessary for the function of many systems in the body. If something goes wrong in the pituitary gland or adrenal gland and too much glucocorticoid is produced, then Cushing's disease develops. This is a very complicated disease with a wide range of symptoms and causes. This article will try to give a concise description of the disease, its symptoms, how it is diagnosed, and its treatment.
(for more info please go here

The little guy was subjected to a bunch of tests last week and this friday even more. A days worth actually. So far he hasn't shown any symptoms so I am hoping he is early enough into the disease that I won't yet have to subject him to hoards of meds. It also means I will have him around much longer!

This news, though it stresses me out and makes me really, really sad, isn't affecting my plans to potentially move to New York City. I am still continuing on. It won't make a difference if he is sick there or here. What matters is that he gets the best care I can possibly give him.

The thoughts of my 4 legged blondie being sick, makes me... ill to my stomach. He is adorable, loving, sweet and never complains. Every morning after my female dog mauls me while licking my face and demanding all my attention, he patiently waits, belly exposed to get his morning belly rub. How is it that such good dog ends up with such a shitty disease.

In his case, rather both my dogs cases, they have me. Many call me a sucker, but they don't understand the unconditional love of dogs. They call me sucker because to them dogs are dogs and who is insane enough to spend thousands of dollars on vet bills to keep them happy? Me that is who. On many occasions I make sacrifices if they need medical attention. They are my responsibility, when you become a pet owner you have made that unconditional promise to your four legged friend. Many choose another route, preferring to put their animals to sleep rather than care for a pet. I could never be that kind of a person.

When I was a teenager I was considering becoming a Veterinarian, but when I realized one of the responsibilities was to put down a sick animal, I deferred. I knew I would never have that in me.

I've started to do my homework, reading everything I can find on Cushings so I understand what is ahead and what signs to look for. This isn't going to be fun or easy but, my life has never been easy. I am constantly being tested, but like all the other tests I've passed with flying colours, this is just another that I will figure out all the answers to.

Two different journeys and one fearless journey woman! Let the adventures begin!

No comments:

Zombie Dating

I found a date through zombie harmony - one of the best free dating sites for zombies
Created by Mingle2.com (Dating for non-zombies)

Are you compatible with me???