Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A reminder of where I come from..

On my bookshelf is a yellow, plastic envelope. The contents inside is a mix of childhood pictures, old family photos and documentation about the history of my family heritage. I keep promising the yellow envelope, that I will sort it, place the documentation in a proper binder and the photo's in a beautiful album! In 2011 I will. But... that is neither here nor there.

In the process of looking for a photo for facebook, I found a document my Uncle Andy started several years ago, The History Of the Smart Family. Each time I read it I'm in awe of the love and determination my Uncle put into the document, but it is only really a beginning. Our family history is insane, tumultuous and beautiful and each time I read it, I'm reminded of where I come from. Warriors, explorers, but the most important one, proud Scots. If there was a bloody battle, there was a Smart involved, most notably, being part of the outlawed Clan MacGregor. A bunch of bad ass, hard drinking, rowdy troublemakers in Kilts. That about sums up my family still. Maybe a little less Kilt wearing, but you get the picture.

The other thing that bites me in the arse each time, is the paragraph about our coat of arms/crest/family motto.

"The most ancient "Coat of Arms" granted to the Smart name known is, Silver on a chevron between three arrow heads with a gold five leafed clover. The crest is an eagle with a burdock in it's beak. The family motto, "Virtus Pre Nummis" which means... "Virtue before Money"'. Virtue before money... ain't that the truth!

I think it is finally time to stop putting the envelope back on the shelf.

No comments:

Zombie Dating

I found a date through zombie harmony - one of the best free dating sites for zombies
Created by Mingle2.com (Dating for non-zombies)

Are you compatible with me???